Learn how to make these delicious and fudgy gluten-free vegan brownies with coconut oil, peanut butter, and sweet potato following this easy step-by-step guide. You probably never thought gluten-free vegan brownies could be so good. Let’s get baking!
What Flour Should I Use for Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies?
I am using white rice flour as it gives the perfect fudgy texture to these gluten-free vegan brownies, but you can substitute it for any other flour you like.
What Chocolate is Best for Brownies?
The better the quality of the chocolate you choose, the better your results will be. You can use a mix of dairy-free dark and milk chocolate for a deeper flavor or even add some vegan white chocolate!
What Cocoa Powder is Best?
Dutch-processed cocoa powder is your best bet, but any type will work great as coffee grounds will deepen the chocolaty flavor of your brownies anyway.
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
– 60 grams (¼ and 2 tbsp) of white rice flour
– 200 grams (1 ¼ cups) of dairy-free dark chocolate
– 1 cup of peanut butter (try my 5-minute homemade peanut butter recipe)
– ¾ cup potato puree (1.5 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
– 115 grams (¼ cup and 2 tbsp) of cocoa powder
– 70 grams (1/3 cup) coconut oil
– 1 ½ tsp baking soda
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1/3 cup white sugar
– 1 ½ tbsp ground coffee
– ¼ tsp of salt
– 1 tsp of vanilla
Watch How to Make Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
Step by Step Recipe
STEP 1 – bake your sweet potatoes
Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C. Cut the potatoes in half and place them into the oven for 35-40 minutes until a fork comes through easily. Scoop the potato puree into a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
STEP 2 – combine dry ingredients (skip the sugar for now)
Combine the flour, cocoa powder, coffee, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl and mix well. Set aside.
STEP 3 – melt the chocolate
Chop your dark chocolate into small squares with a large knife (unless you are using chocolate chips). Add coconut oil and chocolate to a saucepan and place over another saucepan with boiling water. The steam from the water will melt the chocolate without burning it. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula as it melts.
STEP 4 – mix all the wet ingredients
Add melted chocolate to the potato puree, then stir in peanut butter (leave some for the topping), sugars, and vanilla. Mix well.
STEP 5 – add all ingredients together
Stir dry ingredients into the bowl with chocolate and peanut butter and mix until everything is combined well.
STEP 6 – bake!
Grease the baking pan with coconut oil (or vegan butter) and pour the batter into it. You can use parchment paper as well (it will make it easier to get the brownies out of the pan!). Spread well with a rubber spatula and pour the leftover peanut butter onto the top. Spread the peanut butter around with a tip of a knife. Place the brownies into a preheated oven at 350F / 175C for 35-40 minutes.
STEP 7 – cool and enjoy!
Let the brownies cool completely before cutting them. To ensure a clear cut place your knife under hot water for 20 seconds and then rinse a little bit after every cut. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-5 days or freeze them for up to 3 months! If you keep your gluten-free vegan brownies in the fridge they can get really hard, however, warming them up in a microwave for 15 seconds brings back that soft and fudgy texture!
Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies: Tips and Tricks
– Use a digital kitchen scale for best results. There are some really cheap and easy-to-use kitchen scales that are worth investing in! However, if you do decide to use measuring cups then spoon your ingredients into the cups, shake, and level your dry ingredients to make sure the cups are filled evenly without air pockets. However, avoid packing your dry ingredients into the cups as it will create an excess and impact the end result.
– To get the cleanest cut for your brownies you will want to line your baking pan with parchment paper instead of oil as it is super easy to pull out your brownies by the paper sides. Another good tip to remember is to rinse your knife in hot water before cutting it into the brownie and rinse every time you pull the knife out of the cake!
– You can melt your chocolate in the microwave as well, just make sure to stir every 30 seconds.
– Sifting your dry ingredients will prevent lumps from forming.
– Get an oven thermometer if you can as most ovens are inaccurate. A thermometer can help you get your gluten-free vegan brownies perfect every time!
– Add some peanuts to the batter for an extra crunch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze these Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies?
Yes, place them into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you take them out of the freezer, just throw your brownies into the microwave for 30 seconds or just let them thaw on the kitchen counter!
How Long Do Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies Last for?
They will last 3-5 days on the kitchen counter and up to 3 months in the freezer. Placing your vegan brownies into the fridge will prolong its shelf life, but it will make them really hard. However, all you need to do to get your delicious brownies back to their perfect soft and fudgy texture is to warm them up in a microwave for 15 seconds!
Can I Use a Different Sugar?
You can make these vegan chocolate brownies sugar-free by using coconut sugar or a sugar substitute. Just avoid using liquid sugars like honey or maple syrup!
Why are My Vegan Brownies Oily?
You might have added too much oil, although if you follow my vegan brownie recipe step by step then your brownie shouldn’t be oily! Let me know if you don’t get satisfactory results following the recipe precisely and I would love to help.
Have you made these gluten-free vegan brownies at home? We would love to see it! You can tag your photos #natashashome on Instagram and share your results with us. If there are any questions you have I did not address in this post, please let me know in the comments below and I would love to help you become a better home baker!
Meet the author
Hi, I’m Natasha, and my passion is to provide you with delicious and healthy recipes that are budget-friendly and easy to make during a busy day. Check out my site for more inspiration and from-scratch recipe ideas to enjoy with your family at home.